Wiring Hazards: Is dangerous cabling putting your home at risk?

Back to blog

Wiring is in every room of your house, and you interact with it every time you switch on a light, use a power outlet or turn on an appliance.

It is vital to make sure that the cabling in your home is in good condition and meets current electrical standards. Modern TPS Cabling (Thermoplastic Sheath) provides long-lasting, reliable insulation of cabling throughout your house, which prevents fires and electrical shock hazards.

If you're unsure what type of wiring is in your home, read our blogs on Old & Unsafe Wiring in Older Homes and Electrical Cabling Throughout History in Melbourne.

Common Problems

Old wiring, recalled cable or improper cable use can cause serious electrical hazards in homes. Some of the most common problems that we find in homes throughout Melbourne are:

1. Cotton or Black Rubber insulation

Old, deteriorated cabling can be one of the most hazardous electrical problems in a home as it poses a serious risk of fire and could be located throughout the whole house. Cotton and black rubber insulated cabling have not stood the test of time. They present a risk of electrocution or fire because the existing insulation will have deteriorated severely which means that the insulation no longer provides protection from the internal live cabling, which could then come into contact with humans or other objects. Electricians are obligated to report serious cases to Energy Safe Victoria if they pose a serious safety risk.

Dangerous black rubber cabling
Deteriorated black rubber cable insulation is a fire risk

2. Recalled cable

A type of cable branded as Infinity or Olsent Cable was sold through Masters hardware stores throughout Victoria from 2012-2013. This cable had faulty insulation which becomes brittle quickly and creates a serious risk of electrocution or fire if it is not replaced. The ACCC has issued a mandatory recall notice for this type of cabling throughout Australia.

3. Incorrect type of cable

This could include cables that are not properly insulated, cables that do not have an earth conductor, cables that under-sized or are simply just the wrong cable for what they are being used for. This type of mistake is most likely caused by DIY renovators or inexperienced electricians.

Brittle cable insulation
Brittle cable insulation is a fire risk

What do we look for?

On the job, Kenner Electrics electricians keep a look out for tell-tale signs of dangerous cabling in the switchboard, roof space, under the house and at light fittings and power outlets. We offer a free Home Electrical Safety Inspection to all our residential customers when we come to your home to complete a job, so you can have peace of mind that your home is safe.

All electrical work should only be undertaken by a licensed electrician, so if you have any concerns about the state of the cabling in your home, please call an electrician to inspect it.